Hearing Aid Dispensing and Fitting
Hearing Aid Fitting
- During the initial fitting, the audiologist will program your hearing aids and customize them for you to make sure that you are comfortable with them. She will also use a special objective measuring system ( MedEx Verifit) to verify that your hearing aids have proper prescription based on your test results. the amount of the sound that you are hearing.
- You will then be counseled on how to use your hearing aids and how to take care of them. You will leave the office knowing how to change the batteries, how to insert and remove your hearing aids, how to clean the devices. It is a good idea to bring family members or close friends to the hearing aid fitting so they can help remember all the information that is given and be a support to you.
- When you put the hearing aids in for the first time, you may have different emotions about the sounds you hear. This is normal and to be expected. The goal of the hearing aid is to make everyday sounds audible and clear but also comfortable and pleasant. It may take few weeks to get used to hearing all the sounds around you. Your audiologist will help to make this process easy and pleasant for you.
- You will be scheduled to return to the office in 1-2 weeks to determine your success with hearing aids and to determine if further fine tuning adjustments and more support are necessary. You may need few more follow up appointments while adopting to your new hearing aids
- You may also be given a short survey or list of questions to answer. Be honest about what you hear so that the hearing professional can work with you to create the best listening experience with your new hearing aids.
- Your attitude is one important key to success with hearing aids. Hearing aid studies have shown that people who have a positive attitude do better with hearing aids. Keep in mind that it may take some time to get used to the sounds you were missing, and by working closely with your hearing professional, you will get the most out of your new hearing aids.